Friday, September 16, 2005

“Epiphanies with a nine year old”

Blue on the horizon, the majestic Smokey’s, showed their resilient slopes.
Dim at first, in the haze that always seems to permeate these mountains.
I drove on ever closer pointing this and that out to my son.

My prodigy, my offspring, my little man

I was filled with pride by his eagerness to learn, to know, to question.
I answered every question (as best I could).
I explained every detail every subtlety.
His eyes switched from the window to me.

Listening, learning, growing

I finished my soliloquy with a sincere, “Do you understand?”
I prepared for his inevitable “yes!”
He turned to me, his little mouth smiling.
And said, “What?”
I smiled back and said, “Chicken butt.”

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2005 at 8:48 PM, Blogger isaiah said...

This one is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home